inspire me

" i am lost, i am lost / in the robes of all this light ..." ~ sylvia plath

* color homage silhouette texture shape pattern zeitgeist accessory lines classic studded rock-and-roll bohemian streamlined avant-garde *

Monday, March 19, 2012

I've Got the Green Light

Coming up on the end of March has come to mean several things for me over the past few years: my first "official" anniversary with my husband (we became "boyfriend and girlfriend" on St. Patrick's Day five years ago ... potato chips and Jameson were involved, and the rest is history ...), I start running (thinking about running?..) outside again, and I read/teach The Great Gatsby with my 8th grade students.  Gatsby then naturally colors my days, I start listening to The Killers non-stop, and every other song I hear or poem I read reminds me of the green light from the novel.  I feel re-awakened, passionate, invigorated.  What can I say?  I'm a hopeless romantic.  Always have been.
This past weekend, we went to the city for unbelievable meals with friends and a great engagement party.  The days were full of spring-is-here and incidental green (light) moments:
{This coconut water: Delicious.  Refreshing.  Addicted.}
{Forever21 nail polish in "Jade."  This color makes me happy and reminds me of Chanel's, for a fraction of the price.  Madewell rings.  Vintage "birthday bangle" from parents.}
{What a nerd.  Had to get this nails picture with the sticky-rice-discount-and-other-fun-pastel-block-letter-words sign.}
{Marina's engagement party!  Good times, great people, Dinosaur barbecue, and a radiant bride-to-be.  Liz and I can't wait to b-maid it up.  I love my best friends.  And spilling beer on my clothes, apparently.}
{Ninja-photographed this adorable love note from Ariel to his new fiancee.  Never seen her happier.}
{Random blurry pic taken driving on the West Side Highway - I actually like how it came out.  Perfect after a weekend of celebrating romance, true love, and dream-chasing.}

Isn't it weird how you start to associate a certain band/album with a season, book, or mood?  The Killers, blasted at top volume with the sun-roof open while driving on a fresh, balmy day, always make me feel like myself when spring begins.  And they make me think of Gatsby.  Don't know why.  I guess just the perfect synergy of fitting lyrics, the corny major-third melodies, and epic choruses I tend to go for when it's warm out.  Especially "All These Things That I've Done," "Mr. Brightside," and "Read My Mind:"

"I never really gave up on /
breakin' out of this two-star town /
I've got the green light / I've got a little fight /
I'm gonna turn this thing around / Can you read my mind? /
The good old days, the honest man / the restless heart, the Promised Land /
a subtle kiss that no one sees / a broken wrist and a big trapeze /
Well I don't mind if you don't mind, 'cause I don't shine if you don't shine /
Before you go / can you read my mind?...."

Here's to hope, beauty, and wonder this spring.  No matter that we might come off like creepy psychos staring all night at a single green light.  I'm all in; it's all right.  ---xo

No comments:

Post a Comment